Apprentice Substation Electrician
Last Day to Apply: May 25, 2018
APPRENTICE SUBSTATION ELECTRICIAN
Burlington Hydro Inc. is an energy services company in the power distribution business. Serving approximately 67,000 residential and commercial customers, Burlington Hydro and its employees are committed to delivering safe, efficient and reliable electricity to the municipality of Burlington. Burlington Hydro’s strategic focus is on achieving excellence and continuous improvement across all aspects of its business including: employee and community safety; operational efficiency and reliability; responsive customer service; and conservation programs. The company is committed to maintaining a strong asset base through responsible financial management, system renewal and innovation to assure the availability of electricity supply to meet customer needs and growth.
Burlington Hydro maintains 32 substations and 1,600 kilometers of medium voltage distribution lines to deliver electricity. The company is wholly owned by the City of Burlington. Visit us at www.burlingtonhydro.com.
The successful candidate will report to the Supervisor, P&C / Substation Services who in turn reports to the Director of Operations. He / she will work toward position objectives at ever increasing levels of responsibility based on the Supervisor’s direction and relative to their training and experience; objectives include but are not limited to the following:
- Be or become familiar with and work in compliance with all safe work practices, rules and regulations as set out by Burlington Hydro Inc., the MOL and IHSA, among others
- Be enrolled and be willing and able to successfully complete the MEARIE Substation Electrician Certification Program.
- Perform in a safe and efficient manner all installation, testing and maintenance work related to the Substation Electrician Discipline, including some work related to the underground distribution system; operating voltages up to and including 27,600 volts phase to phase.
- Operate in a safe and efficient manner all machinery, equipment and tools used in the performance of the work: this includes but is not limited to: various types of vehicles; various types of hoists; a variety of power tools; chain saws; as well as a variety of hand tools and test equipment
- Test and maintain Transformers; mechanical and / or electrical testing / trouble shooting of breakers, protective devices, batteries and chargers; Investigate and troubleshoot substation failures
- Install and maintain AC and DC substation service systems; Locate underground cables; test and fault locate on underground distribution plant
- Review and revise related electrical and mechanical prints, drawings and diagrams using AutoCAD; Collect data and maintain detailed equipment and maintenance records
- Perform other duties that may be assigned from time to time
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Successful completion (Diploma) of a 3 year College level Technologist program in a related field
- Willingness and ability to complete all requirements of the MEARIE Substation Electrician program
- Ability to work from work orders, specifications, standards, blueprints / drawings and instructions
- Excellent verbal and written English Language communication skills, including reading comprehension; as well as excellent mathematical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer relations skills; a good work ethic with a positive approach to work and coworkers; energetic and motivated with an excellent attendance record
- Possess and maintain a level of physical fitness essential to do the work, including the ability to climb structures and work confidently at heights; to work in confined spaces and the willingness and ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions
- Willingness and ability to eventually perform regular emergency call-out and on call duties, and work under emergency conditions; with the willingness and ability to respond to a call-out and be on the work site within one hour of receiving the call
- Possess and maintain a valid Ontario Drivers’ License with a clean abstract; with the willingness and ability to obtain a Class DZ License within 12 months
- Knowledge of AutoCAD is an asset
- Current First Aid / CPR / AED certification a definite asset
Please note: A Theory Qualifying Test conducted at BHI site will form part of the hiring process
This is a unionized position and includes compensation and benefits in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
Interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to submit their resume to email@example.com by Friday, May 25, 2018. Applicants please note that accommodations are provided upon request. PLEASE QUOTE POSITION TITLE THAT YOU ARE APPLYING FOR IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR EMAIL.
Burlington Hydro Inc. is committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank you in advance for applying but only those applicants to be interviewed will be contacted.
May 10, 2018