Supervisor, Distribution Automation
Last Day to Apply: May 21, 2018
Veridian Connections Inc. safely and reliably delivers electricity to more than 120,000 customers in the Cities of Pickering and Belleville, the Towns of Ajax, Port Hope and Gravenhurst, and the communities of Uxbridge, Bowmanville, Newcastle, Orono, Port Perry, Beaverton, Sunderland and Cannington. Veridian Connections Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Veridian Corporation. The City of Pickering, the Town of Ajax, the Municipality of Clarington and the City of Belleville jointly own Veridian Corporation.
SUPERVISOR, DISTRIBUTION AUTOMATION
The Supervisor Distribution Automation, reports directly to the Manager, Distribution Automation and has the responsibility for the supervision of P&C and automation technicians, and overseeing the technical aspects of the Distribution Automation capital projects and maintenance programs for all new and existing facilities.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise, coordinate, and be responsible for the overall performance of the Department to ensure the completion of assigned projects within approved budgets and timelines to meet company goals. Monitor, analyze, and adjust performance as required.
- Provide direct daily technical support, detailed advice, direction, and expertise for the Department as well as to other departments within the company as required.
- Supervise, coordinate and review the technical content of project designs and submissions prior to forwarding to the Manager.
- Responsible for the maintenance programs of all substations protection and communication/SCADA and all other field automated devices and components and correspondence with suppliers.
- Demonstrate sound technical judgment, problem solving, non-regimented thinking and application of theory in balanced decision-making, in instructions or direction to staff.
- Recommend appropriate quality and work technique standards and assure their uniform application. Encourage staff input.
- Coordinate work with other groups to minimize customer outages and switching requirements in order to complete work efficiently
- Schedule and manage all projects and work activities to remain within the constraints of the budget and other allocations. Administer and monitor the work of contractors that may be employed directly to assigned projects or that may be employed in general on other construction work, as required.
- Assist Manager in planning and development of smart grid technology and work equipment requirements and specialized tools.
- Supervise and monitor staff assigned to the department and the tools, vehicles and work equipment to safely achieve desired goals.
- Perform other duties as required to ensure the successful operation of the Automation department.
- Interact with other department members, and with other departments for data collection and inputting of accurate information;
- Participate in a continuous learning manner with respect to new and emerging electric distribution system technologies with positive operation impacts, including all technologies associated with smart grid;
- Apply principles of mathematics and science to analyze and solve routine technical problems as found in Power Distribution utilities industries; Be knowledgeable with and routinely apply policies, procedures, and external standards and requirements including but not limited to those of Reg. 22/04, IEEE, CSA, ESA, IHSA, and OSHA as they relate to projects.
- Communicate information effectively and accurately by analyzing, translating, and producing electrical drawings.
- Direct and coordinate the work of external contractors.
- 6 or more years of electrical utility experience with direct technical experience with distribution automation, power system communications and protection coordination.
- Minimum qualification requirement is 3 year Community College Diploma in Electrical Engineering or Engineering related program with thorough knowledge of power systems and communication technologies.
- OACETT certification is mandatory or Eligible to register as a Professional Engineer in the province of Ontario
- Experience with distribution system modeling software (CYMEDIST, DESS etc.) or experience with any engineering software is an asset and a working knowledge of Computer Assisted Design (CAD) systems.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in distribution system protection and programming of digital relays and smart devices such as SEL, GE, ABB, S&C, ION etc.
Interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to submit their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, May 21, 2018. Please quote position title that you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Applicants please note that accommodations can be provided upon request. Only the candidates who meet the qualifications and experience for the position will be contacted for an interview. We thank you for your interest in Veridian.
May 11, 2018