Last Day to Apply: February 19, 2019
Job Posting Number: 788
Position: Design Technician
Location: Vaughan (Cityview) Reports to: Supervisor, Distribution Design
Business Unit: Network Services Division: Distribution Design (Planned Capital)
Hours per Week: 37.5 Rate of Pay: As per the collective agreement
Number of Openings: 1 Union: PWU (legacy PowerStream)
Open: February 11, 2019 Close: February 19, 2019
Reporting to the Supervisor, Distribution Design, this position is responsible for the design and coordination of industrial, commercial, institutional, subdivision, substations, capital, maintenance, and joint-use utility projects.
• Utilizing Computer Aided Design tools, prepares designs as per ESA 22/04 for new facilities, line relocations, rebuilds, extensions, conversions, new services and other modifications to the existing electrical distribution system. Reviews and comments on drawings submitted by consultants, contractors and agencies to ensure compliance with established projects based on field visits and reviews with other departments. Reviews and comments on submissions or approvals from external utilities and municipal departments and follows up as required. Responds to inquiries from consultants, contractors, customers and staff to either resolve or refer complaints.
• Provides project coordination, guidance and problem solving for underground, overhead, street lighting and general service installations including responsibility for scope, budget and material requirements for the duration of all assigned projects.
• Initiates and creates engineering and financial calculations, cost estimates, material lists and work orders in accordance with established standards, practices and guidelines. Obtains permits/approvals from consultants, builders, municipal, regional, provincial and federal agencies as well as registered easement drawings. Attends/Chairs construction meetings and co-ordinates work between construction, inspection, customers and contractors to ensure timely completion of projects.
• Communicates and provides technical support and guidance to municipalities, developers, contractors, electrical/civil consultants, architects, field supervisors, government agencies and customers to ensure work co-ordination and compliance with specifications, policies, standards, procedures and practices.
• Prepares and administers contracts, assists in tenders for electrical distribution, sub transmission, substations, street lighting and other projects. Prepares Offer’s to Connect and Draft Plan Comments for specific sites, outlining financial, construction, compliance and legal obligations of the customer and PowerStream Inc.
• Conducts field surveying and line staking when required and monitors progress on construction/maintenance projects as required.
• Works in conjunction with engineering design team members and other PowerStream departments to achieve improvements in productivity, quality and the cost efficiency of all projects.
• Provides training, mentoring and assistance to other Design Technologists and Co-op students. Provides assistance to other PowerStream departments when necessary.
• Recommends changes to Material Specifications, PowerStream Conditions of Service, Construction Standards and policy changes.
• Conducts field inspections and enters working construction zones for the purpose of planning, data acquisition and to ensure compliance to design and construction standards.
• Liaises with and provides technical review to joint use utilities with respect to attachment applications and associated construction verification program inspections.
• Safety: Responsible for a working knowledge and understanding of and make all efforts reasonable to work in accordance with the appropriate safety legislation, EUSR rules, PowerStream Policies and Procedures and safe work practices that apply to the work while adhering to the internal responsibility system. Reports any unsafe conditions or observed unsafe work practices using PowerStream procedures.
• Requires a minimum of 5 years related experience.
Education and Professional Designations:
• Requires a 3 year college diploma, Electrical Engineering Technology.
• Eligible for OACETT.
• Requires advanced knowledge of related engineering theory, principles and practices/techniques.
Skills and Competencies:
• Demonstrated ability to solve moderately complex problems.
• Knowledge in project coordination and review of project costs.
• Working knowledge of accounting practices.
• Requires advanced skills in the use of computer software programs for CAD, GIS, document management system, work order management system, customer information system, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications.
• Advanced knowledge of standard construction drawings, policies, procedures and practices and regulations that apply to and electrical distribution design. Applied knowledge of ESA 22/04.
• Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills with coworkers and members of the public to achieve positive outcomes for the company.
• Requires knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act requirements as it relates to individual, organizational and operational requirements.
• Requires valid Class “G” driver’s license.
• Endeavours to satisfy the need of the customer while adhering to PowerStream’s Conditions of Service and practices.
How to Apply
**FOR INTERNAL CANDIDATES ONLY: Interested bargaining unit employees from across Alectra are eligible to apply to this posting. First consideration will be given to permanent employees in the bargaining unit where the vacancy originated. Second consideration will be given to all permanent employees in the other four bargaining units. Third consideration will be given to all temporary employees from all five bargaining units. All internal candidates will be contacted regarding the status of your submission and/or expression of interest.
If you would like to be considered for this position and meet the qualifications, please submit your resume by clicking on the button below.
Should you have any questions regarding this opportunity, or need assistance in applying for the posting, please send your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alectra is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a recruitment process that respects the dignity and independence of all candidates. Should you require accommodation at any stage in the recruitment, assessment and selection process please consult with Alectra’s People Team.
All internal candidates will be contacted regarding the status of your submission and/or expression of interest. For external candidates, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career with Alectra.
February 11, 2019