Last Day to Apply: March 08, 2019
By generating and distributing power, each person at Hydro Ottawa is part of empowering the lives of people in the communities we serve.
Our work means all the activities that make up our lives – at home, at work, at play – are there when we need them.
That purpose unites us and fuels our work. And if joining us in this essential work energizes you too, we may have the opportunity for you.
System Operations is the Controlling Authority at Hydro Ottawa and as such the System Operator has the responsibility for ensuring the integrity and security of Hydro Ottawa’s distribution system which is accomplished through the monitoring of SCADA and Outage Management systems. The System Operator responds to distribution system events, analyzes data and directs field crews, ensuring the safety of personnel, safeguarding distribution system equipment and minimizing the duration and impact of distribution system disturbances.
The essential responsibilities of the job include but are not necessarily restricted to the following:
• Continuously monitor the distribution system via SCADA, Power Quality metering, fault detection systems, Outage Management System, or other supervisory systems.
• Analyze all available data to maintain distribution system integrity and operation within normal parameters.
• React to distribution system disturbances to minimize potential electrical hazards to Hydro Ottawa personnel and the general public, minimizing the duration of power outages, and to safeguard distribution system equipment.
• Responsible for directing all field personnel activity related to System Controlled devices during normal and abnormal conditions.
• Prioritize restoration of power with respect to minimizing interruption duration. In the event of large-scale power interruptions, the System Operator is responsible for determining restoration priorities and taking appropriate action.
• Ensure prompt accurate assessment and reaction to emergency conditions, possibly involving life-threatening situations.
• Contact Reliability or On-Call Supervisors to arrange for additional staff to respond to abnormal or emergency situations.
• Direct all switching procedures.
• Directly answer specific customer inquiries and concerns during business and non-business hours.
• Review the electrical distribution system with crews and Supervisors for work protection requests.
• Prioritize and, if necessary, reschedule workload as conditions change.
• Provide work and equipment protection for both emergency and non-emergency conditions, using either electronic or manual “hard copy” documents.
• Create and check all “Orders to Operate” and “Work Protection” documents and issue to the proper work groups, be it Hydro Ottawa personnel or a contracting group for both emergency and non-emergency conditions.
• Ensure field crew and System Operations compliance with the “Utility Work Protection Code”.
• Monitor and correct loading trends to respect equipment ratings and limits.
• Maintain a record log of System Office activities.
• Communicate with Assets, Records and field personnel to maintain current and accurate Operating maps and drawings.
• Communicate directly with Hydro One, Electrical Safety Authority, and the Independent Electricity System Operator as required by industry regulation and protocol.
• Perform control actions as directed by Hydro One and the Independent Electrical System Operator to ensure stability, integrity and security of the bulk electricity system and Hydro Ottawa’s distribution system.
• Train System Office personnel and others as required.
• Assist with queries from other divisions inside or outside of Hydro Ottawa.
• Maintain a level of technical competency to use different computer and software applications confidently.
• Communicate distribution system equipment deficiencies appropriately to initiate and expedite repairs.
• Reporting/communication of system events and interruptions accordingly (written and/or verbally).
• Communicate “Power Outage Updates” to Hydro Ottawa management, Public Affairs and Communications personnel, Police, and Fire Department representatives.
• Compile information from Fire, Police or Hydro One to dispatch appropriate personnel and equipment to establish isolations.
• Issue and record temporary nomenclature in the electrical system and maintain accurate records.
• Respond accordingly to any alarms coming in on the SCADA system, or other supervisory systems.
• Identify interruption areas and update internal and customer notification systems including the Hydro Ottawa website Outage Map and Outage Alert messaging, Update and maintain system contingency plans.
• Performs other related duties as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Electrical Engineering Technologist plus minimum 4 years’ experience in system operations OR
• Electrical Engineering Technician plus a minimum 5 years’ experience in system operations
• Successful completion of the MEARIE Journeyperson Electrical Operator exam
• Experience with and proficient in the use of Outage Management System (OMS), Geographic Information System (GIS), SCADA systems and reading schematic drawings
• Bilingualism (English and French) will be considered an asset
• Valid driver’s license - Class G
• Government of Canada security clearance
• 24/7 rotating shift cycle
If this position interests you, please apply on our website at https://hydroottawa.com/careers by 11:59pm on March 8, 2019.
The terms and conditions of employment for this position are governed by the collective agreement between Hydro Ottawa Limited and IBEW Local 636.
Hydro Ottawa is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that reflects the diverse population it serves and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are also committed to preventing and removing barriers to employment for people with disabilities, and we invite you to inform us should you have any accessibility or accommodation needs.
Selected candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
February 11, 2019