Last Day to Apply: March 22, 2019
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-19-014 Manager, Distribution
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Director, Operations, the Manager, Distribution is responsible for the comprehensive, preventative, predictive and corrective planning and scheduling of maintenance programs for all power line distribution systems across the corporation. This position also plans and directs capital projects as assigned, for both recoverable and Time Materials Invoices (TMI), relating to distribution systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes, schedules, assigns and supervises employee activities engaged in installation, repair and maintenance of power line systems, while ensuring work complies with QEC standards and all applicable legislation.
- Oversees the installation, repair and maintenance of the electrical distribution systems and associated equipment.
- Prepares reports on operational requirements regarding line repair & maintenance.
- Manages working relationship with clients, internal resources, and third parties such as vendors, subcontractors, essential service agreements (ESA), and utilities.
- Collaborates with the Engineering Department for planning projects of structural designs for line placements.
- Develops and manages an annual departmental budget of approximately two (2) million dollars.
- Oversees all required vehicle certifications and ensures industry standards and corporate policies are complied with.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Journeyperson Interprovincial Red Seal certification as a Powerline Technician.
- Ten years of experience working with electrical distribution systems, with a minimum of five years involving the supervision of staff.
- Advanced knowledge of overhead distribution system work practices and construction standards; good understanding of substations, metering, protection and control and distribution automation.
- A Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) or a Professional Engineering (P.Eng) qualification.
- Project management experience in the areas of planning and scheduling, resources management, estimating and progress reporting.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education and experience may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $119,142 to $142,313, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to applicants who are Nunavut Inuit.
To apply email email@example.com or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing, by March 22, 2019.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
March 5, 2019