Operational Technology Specialist (GIS)
Last Day to Apply: April 30, 2019
Imagine working for a company that’s just as excited about your future as you are. A growing company that wants to invest in you. That’s what it’s like working for Burlington Hydro. We give our employees the tools and support they need in order to do their jobs well. We are currently recruiting for the following position:
Operational Technology Specialist (GIS)
Burlington Hydro Inc. is currently seeking an Operational Technology Specialist (GIS) to join our Engineering team. Reporting to the GIS Supervisor, you are responsible for leading the evolution of the current application environment, as well as managing the monitoring, administration, overall support and troubleshooting of the Enterprise Oracle GIS. The position will include responsibility for the applications from architecture, requirements and specifications, planning, deployment support, training, system performance , configuration, custom report development, software testing, documentation, etc. Expertise as a highly organized, results oriented self-starter who can meet the challenges and pressures of implementing and maintaining enterprise Oracle databases and infrastructure that support real-time utility operations is required.
- Develop business requirements, collaborate with end users and IT department, define detailed technical specifications, lead implementation and provide support for web-based technological solutions within the Oracle environment
- Identify and implement Oracle backup and recovery techniques, performance tuning and security within SQL and Windows
- Provide technical database administration services for multi-platform, multi-database environment
- Create, test and maintain all database objects (i.e. files, tables, indexes, views, users, keys, constraints, roles) on Production, Staging and Development servers
- Develop and perform diagnostics, testing, and troubleshooting of software, o/s, and database issues (ex. correcting installation, configuration, or data problems)
- Plan and perform software and database installation, configuration, upgrade and patching, facilitate UAT testing, coordinate deployment to production environment
- Monitor and collect statistical information that allows for accurate reporting on capacity and system performance
- Act upon system and application automated alerts
- Initiate effective collaboration with cross-functional teams to identify opportunities for process improvement and simplification
- Proactively identify gaps between current and desired end-states, and deliver solutions that create efficiencies and add value
- Design, code and test stored procedures
- Create and test SQL Agent jobs
- Develop database reports, provide system analysis and recommend improvements
- Perform Application Development, prepare GUI design, data model design
- Prepare reports using languages such as Python, etc.
- Assist with managing vendor relationship to ensure requirements are met and work to resolve any issues
- Effectively manage allocated budget
- Be willing to work flexible hours, outside of regular business hours, evenings/nights, weekends.
- Perform other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative discipline
- 3-5 years of experience in web development, using at least one object-oriented programming language
- Solid understanding of writing SQL statements in one or more relational databases (MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server) and knowledge of Windows or Unix/Linux development environments
- Hands on experience in data modelling and database design
- Comprehensive knowledge of web application technology interoperability (OS, database, network, etc.), and application of GIS/Information Technology would be an asset
- Experience in Agile development methodology and Automated test tool would be an asset
- Excellent understanding of at least one relational database (MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server) with the ability to write moderately complex SQL queries
- Excellent organizational and resource management skills
- Customer-service oriented and can work effectively as part of a team as well as independently; good work ethic with a positive approach to work and co-workers
- Practical experience of project management methodology with proven ability to multi-task within tight timelines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write supporting technical documentation
- Possess and maintain a valid and clean abstract with a class “G” Ontario driver’s license
- Self-starter, willing to learn, adapt to new technologies, flexible when situations change, able to work in an ambiguous environment, treats others in a professional manner that promotes a safe and respectful workplace
- Attention to detail and excellent analytical and time management skills; energetic and motivated
- Excellent attendance record
More about Burlington Hydro
Burlington Hydro and its employees are committed to delivering safe, efficient and reliable electricity to the municipality of Burlington, serving approximately 66,700 residential and commercial customers. Burlington Hydro’s strategic focus is on achieving excellence and continuous improvement across all aspects of its business including: employee and community safety; operational efficiency and reliability; responsive customer service; and, conservation programs. The company is committed to maintaining a strong asset base through responsible financial management, system renewal and innovation to assure the availability of electricity supply to meet customer needs and growth.
Burlington Hydro maintains 32 substations and almost 1,600 kilometers of medium voltage distribution lines to deliver electricity. The company is wholly owned by the City of Burlington.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume, in confidence, to Human Resources, at email@example.com (please note ‘Operational Technology Specialist (GIS)’ in the subject line) up to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 30, 2019. Burlington Hydro Inc. is committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
All applicants are thanked for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
No phone calls or agencies, please.
April 16, 2019