Executive Director, Energy Storage Canada
Posted On: June 26, 2019
Last Day to Apply: July 19, 2019
Executive Director, Energy Storage Canada
Energy Storage Canada seeks an Executive Director to lead the overall strategic direction, administration and membership engagement for Energy Storage Canada. In addition to serving as the face of this growing national organization, key accountabilities include responsibility for government relations and stakeholder advocacy, membership recruitment and engagement, marketing, and annual conference oversight. The role reports to ESC’s Board of Directors, specifically the Chair of the Board.
About Energy Storage Canada (ESC)
This is an exciting time in the energy storage industry and ESC plays an important role as the national industry association with a mission to advance the energy storage industry and drive market development. Energy storage is expanding rapidly across a range of markets and ESC serves as a catalyst and focal point for the industry. The association represents the broad cross-section of companies involved in this growing industry and is technology agnostic. Incorporated in 2014, ESC has expanded its range of activities with particular focus on Ontario, Alberta, and federally.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate will have several years experience working in the energy sector in either the private sector, and/or in government or energy-related agency. A good understanding of electricity markets and regulatory structures and energy policy environments in different jurisdictions is desirable as is a grounding in energy storage technologies and the various value propositions for storage. Understanding the broad applicability of storage to transmission-level, distribution-level and behind-the-meter markets is important.
The Executive Director will have strong skills in relationship building, as well as proven organizational abilities, creativity and resourcefulness. Alignment with the goals of Energy Storage Canada along with a passion for growing the organization and supporting the industry are essential qualities of a successful candidate.
An undergraduate degree in business, engineering, or economics is required. A graduate degree is desirable.
Strategy & Leadership
- In conjunction with the Board, conceive, develop and execute strategies to ensure the growth and financial viability of the organization
- Ensure that all association activities retain overall strategic focus to benefit members and build market development and stakeholder awareness of energy storage in Canada
- Drive awareness and build relationships with broad range of industry, government, academic and stakeholder organizations in order to create alliances and enhance the organization’s profile and credibility
Outreach and Advocacy
- Initiate and build relationships with key stakeholders at government, agency and broad stakeholder levels
- Develop and/or coordinate briefs, submissions, proposals and presentations for Ontario and Alberta Advocacy Councils and Federal Initiatives Committee; participate in regular meetings of advocacy councils and committees
- Manage and coordinate consultants working on specific files related to these initiatives
- Represent and coordinate activity of ESC at conferences, forums and other industry events in Canada and other key markets. Travel to and attend Canadian and global conferences; speak and make presentations at industry events.
Growth and Engagement
Identify, design and capture opportunities for revenue growth, membership growth and engagement among all stakeholders
- Develop and organize member events, including the Annual General Meeting and quarterly policy-focused webinars
- Develop and organize speaker and networking events for the broader community that generate revenue while building and highlighting ESC’s profile as a thought leader in energy storage
- Develop and organize program and arrange and oversee logistics for annual conference in Canada as an educational, engagement and revenue generation opportunity.
- Work with Executive Committee to prepare a comprehensive annual budget
- Review/approve invoices and work with Treasurer to ensure adherence to budget
- Develop and maintain administrative systems, including managing outsourced services, to ensure smooth operation of varied activities
- Oversee effective day-to-day operation of the organization
- Full-time Consulting contract
- Virtual office environment
- Some travel required
- Candidates must be based within the Greater Toronto Area
- Please forward CV with cover letter to ESC-HR@energystoragecanada.org by 5:00 p.m. on July 19, 2019.
June 26, 2019