Posted On: June 26, 2019
Last Day to Apply: July 26, 2019
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-19-032 Manager, Production
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Director, Operations, this position is responsible for the oversight of the day-to-day operation of twenty five (25) diesel-generating plants across Nunavut. This position will work closely with the Operations Supervisors across the territory to ensure safety, reliability, and efficiency in each plant. This role contributes to the delivery of safe and reliable electricity to QEC customers, while continuously promoting industry best practices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to safe and reliable operations, ensuring compliance to regulatory requirements, executing long-term strategic plans, and providing supervision and guidance to the Operations Supervisors throughout Nunavut.
- Coordinates with Operations and Maintenance supervisors to ensure annual plant maintenance program is completed in an effective and efficient manner.
- Assists with updating Operations One Line Diagrams, Unit Isolation Schematics and Site Plans for generating stations.
- Liaises with equipment suppliers on operating concerns/problems/defects related to new or upgraded generating equipment.
- Develops, maintains, tracks and reports on the annual Operations section budget.
- Adapts departmental processes and procedures to comply with regulatory changes.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Inter-provincial Red Seal trade certification as an Industrial Electrician, Power Systems Electrician, Heavy Equipment Technician or relevant utilities trade discipline.
- Seven (7) years of post certification relevant trades experience in a utilities setting with four (4) years experience in a supervisory role.
- Extensive experience in the production of electricity.
- Comprehensive understanding of diesel generating facilities procedures.
- Experience in preparing capital and operating budgets.
- Project management experience in the areas of planning and scheduling, resources management, estimating and progress reporting.
- Valid drivers’ license and satisfactory drivers abstract.
- Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) or Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) is an asset.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation is an asset.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $119,142 to $142,313, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to applicants who are Nunavut Inuit.
To apply send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
This posting will remain open until filled.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
June 26, 2019