Financial Analyst (Temporary Up to 18 Months)
Posted On: July 08, 2019
Last Day to Apply: August 09, 2019
Financial Analyst (Temporary Up to 18 Months)
Job ID: J0719-0178
Organization: Utilities Kingston
Job Title: Financial Analyst (Temporary Up To 18 Months)
Job Type: Temporary Full Time
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Utilities Kingston is located in Kingston, Ontario, equi-distant from Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa, where the St. Lawrence River meets Lake Ontario and the Rideau Canal (a UNESCO World Heritage site) – Kingston is a stunning, historic city that consistently ranks as one of the best places to live in Canada. Kingston’s 123,363 community-minded citizens enjoy an outstanding quality-of-life enhanced by superb intellectual, recreational and creative opportunities and supported by excellent health care facilities and municipal services, programs and facilities.
Utilities Kingston is unique in Ontario, combining water, wastewater, gas and electrical services and a broadband fibre optics provided in one company under the leadership of a single C.E.O. This shared services delivery model gives Utilities Kingston clear advantages in cost savings and customer service over other utility providers in the province. Utilities Kingston has provided the residents of Kingston with safe and reliable utility services for more than 100 years.
Reporting to the Manager of Finance, the successful incumbent will be responsible for assisting with a wide range of accounting responsibilities for Utilities Kingston in the areas of the gas, sewer, water, electric and fibre utilities including internal and external reporting requirements including regulatory reporting. The Financial Analyst is responsible for reviewing, documenting, understanding and streamlining all financial business processes. The Financial Analyst will assess business needs, design, develop and recommend solutions based on user and legislative requirements. This position requires a motivated and service oriented individual with the ability to work accurately, effectively and independently in a demanding environment in order to meet multiple deadlines. The Financial Analyst must be able to solve problems, suggest solutions and be accepting of continual change. Primary duties are listed below:
- Prepare account reconciliations and analyses, and ad-hoc reports as required by senior staff and regulatory bodies.
- Execute monthly accounting entries consistent with regulatory accounting regulations.
- Complete monthly, quarterly, and annual filings to IESO and OEB
- Interpret and implement policies and regulatory requirements or analyze procedures and recommend changes and improvements as required to ensure compliance.
- Assist with the interpretation of financial information and co-ordinate information for financial reports.
- Act as financial liaison with other departments and stakeholders.
- Set up capital projects based on funding requirements and provide analysis and reporting.
- Support year-end procedures by producing working papers, analyses and reports for external auditors.
- Make recommendations to develop/refine procedures and internal controls and assist with implementation.
- Maintain current documented procedures for key responsibilities
- Perform other various financial and accounting duties as required.
- The individual must be able to perform well independently and as a team player, work in a fast paced and demanding work environment and pay attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong analytical, interpretive and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to apply business analysis techniques to increasingly complex projects or initiatives.
- Ability to manage competing priorities, ensuring deadlines or deliverables are met.
- Apply accounting knowledge to determine how accounting problems and errors should be corrected and determine the best course of action to ensure transactions are accounted for appropriately.
Education, Certification and Other Qualifications Required:
- Post-secondary diploma or degree from an accredited educational institution in Business Administration or related field of study.
- Enrolment or completion of a professional accounting designation will be considered an asset.
- Minimum 5 years of accounting experience, preferably in a public utility and/or electricity distribution environment.
- Working knowledge of the full accounting cycle and knowledge of IFRS, Canadian GAAP and regulatory accounting.
- Experience with a Customer Information System, PeopleSoft financial system and/or Microsoft Dynamics AX is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel is required. Special Working Conditions/Conditions of Employment
- A Criminal Record Check, to the satisfaction of Utilities Kingston, will be required at the successful candidate’s expense.
Your resume and/or cover letter must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the position.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided as required by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) upon request.
Utilities Kingston is committed to employment equity and we encourage applications from all designated group members. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the Kingston community.
Utilities Kingston thanks all candidates that apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Internal applicants must inform their supervisor or manager of their application and subsequent status
To apply click on the link below: HTTP://CLIENTS.NJOYN.COM/CL4/XWEB/XWEB.ASP?CLID=74530&PAGE=JOBDETAILS&JOBID=J0719-0178&BRID=127214&SBDID=21531