Apprentice Powerline Technician
Posted On: September 24, 2019
Last Day to Apply: October 18, 2019
APPRENTICE POWERLINE TECHNICIAN
Reporting to a Line Supervisor, the successful candidate will be enrolled in the MEARIE Power Line Technician program and must work toward the completion of the program by satisfying the hours and training requirements for certification. As his/her individual experience and skill level improves he/she will work toward position objectives at ever increasing levels of responsibility, based on the Supervisor’s direction. These objectives include but are not limited to the following:
- Become familiar with and work in compliance to all safe work practices, rules and regulations as set out by Burlington Hydro Inc., the MOL and IHSA, among others.
- Perform in a safe and efficient manner all line construction and maintenance work in connection with underground and overhead power distribution systems operating at voltage levels up to and including 27,600 volts phase to phase.
- Be capable of operating all machinery, equipment and tools used in the performance of the work; this includes but is not limited to various aerial devices and radial boom derricks, a variety of power tools, chain saws and a variety of hand tools.
- An Apprentice candidate must be willing and able to successfully complete the MEARIE Powerline Technician training program.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Secondary School Graduation Diploma – OSSGD or equivalent
- Successful completion of the 2 year Powerline Technician Co-op program, or equivalent
- Willingness and ability to complete all requirements of the MEARIE Power Line Technician program
- Excellent verbal and written English language communication skills, including reading comprehension
- Excellent interpersonal and customer relations skills; a good work ethic with a positive approach to work and coworkers; energetic and motivated with an excellent attendance record.
- Possess and maintain a level of physical fitness essential to do the work, including the ability to climb and work confidently at heights; and the willingness and ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
- Willingness and ability to eventually perform regular emergency call-out and on call duties, and work under emergency conditions, with the willingness and ability to respond to a call-out and be on the work site within one hour of receiving the call.
- Possess and maintain a valid Ontario Drivers’ License with a clean abstract; Class AZ or ARZ preferred; DZ acceptable with ability to obtain the ARZ within 12 months
- Current First aid/CPR/AED certification a definite asset
This is a full time position located in Burlington. This is a unionized position and includes compensation and benefits in accordance with the Collective Agreement. We offer an excellent working environment, competitive compensation and benefit packages, a pension plan and an opportunity to make a difference in our community.
How to Apply
To find out more about Burlington Hydro, as well as other opportunities to join our team, please visit our website at www.burlingtonhydro.com.
Qualified candidates must send a detailed resume and cover letter to the attention of Human Resources, email@example.com by Friday, October 18, 2019 (quote ‘Apprentice Powerline Technician’ in the subject line).
Burlington Hydro Inc. is committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank you in advance for applying but only those applicants to be interviewed will be contacted.
September 24, 2019