Policy Advisor (12 month contract)
Posted On: October 02, 2019
Last Day to Apply: November 02, 2019
Policy Advisor (12-month contract)
- Conduct and lead research on relevant legislation, regulations, policies, governance practices and initiatives in other jurisdictions across Canada and abroad to identify and report on best practices or other policy implications of similar or related electrical safety programs.
- Provide advice and policy expertise to reporting Director or other ESA Management on regulatory policy and issues and identify and manage contentious issues.
- Develop, establish and maintain relationships with ESA’s stakeholders, other regulatory bodies and safety partners in order to anticipate regulatory policy implications.
- Conduct research, analysis, propose alternatives and draft documents required to support ESA legislative and regulatory initiatives. This may include ESA legislative or regulatory submissions or proposals and may include undertaking internal and external consultations.
- Conduct and lead research on relevant legislation, regulations, policies, governance practices and initiatives in other jurisdictions across Canada and abroad to identify, assess and report on best practices or other policy implications of similar or related electrical safety programs.
- Keep abreast of government legislation, proposed regulatory changes and policy proposals in order to assess, identify, evaluate, and draft comments and recommendations on potential impact to ESA. This may include undertaking regulatory impact analysis and assessments.
- Analyze, evaluate alternatives, and provide recommendations regarding contentious issues related to ESA’s mandate and administration of the Act and regulations.
- Provide advice and policy expertise and comment on research reports and articles related to electrical safety activities and ESA activities around public safety.
Requires general knowledge of business and/or public administration, economics, political science, finance, science, public safety and public relations to interpret, record, and gather information on issues, regulatory policy in order to provide responses. Requires a good knowledge of journalism and journalistic decorum, English, interpersonal and communication skills to effectively deal with government staff, external stakeholders, other regulators and ESA staff, and to assist with the preparation of material, reports and research/writing for the Director and other ESA Senior Management. This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired either through a four-year university education in an appropriate field (Business Administration, Political Science, or Public Administration) or the equivalent level of education.
Requires experience working in a policy advisory capacity within government, a regulatory or safety agency to understand the process of policy development, legislation submissions and proposals, and the needs and requirements of decision makers. Requires experience in journalism or writing in order to draft clear and concise documentation and coordinate the production of documentation. Requires some experience in interpreting current and anticipated economic, social and safety trends and apply information to the development of policy and other regulatory options. Requires policy related project management experience, usually acquired through leading or participating in the preparation or implementation of regulatory or legislative amendments and proposals. Requires an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across the organization, government representatives and external stakeholders. Requires experience participating in working groups, committees, advisory councils or focus groups. A period of over 6 years and up to and including 8 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please visit our to our careers site at www.esasafe.com/careers and click on the “apply to ESA now” link. We thank you for your interest in ESA. If your application is selected for further processing you will be notified by email.
Please be advised that in relation to all job postings on this webpage, accommodation for persons with disabilities is available throughout the recruitment process upon request in accordance with requirements under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
October 2, 2019