President and Chief Executive Officer
Posted On: June 11, 2020
Last Day to Apply: July 11, 2020
Sartor and Associates Inc. has been retained by Westario Power Inc., located in Walkerton, Ontario, to recruit a
new President and Chief Executive Officer. The successful candidate will advise and be responsible to the Westario
Power Board of Directors for all facets of corporate strategic planning, development, coordination, and leadership in the
distribution of the electrical services of Westario Power Inc. to its customer communities. The President & CEO will
ensure compliance with the Corporate Mission, Vision and Core Values, policies and all applicable legislative, financial
and governance matters, carry out responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws,
and provide leadership and guidance to the management team of Westario Power.
Westario Power Inc. is focused on providing superior value to its customers. It is the responsibility of Westario Power
to ensure the safe, reliable delivery of electricity to the 23,000+ customers it serves and maintain the substations and
746km of distribution lines at a high rate of efficiency.
Westario Power supplies electricity to the communities of Clifford, Elmwood, Hanover, Harriston, Kincardine, Lucknow,
Mildmay, Neustadt, Palmerston, Port Elgin, Ripley, Southampton, Teeswater, Walkerton and Wingham. Westario Power Inc.
is primarily owned by the municipalities it serves. FortisOntario owns a 10% strategic interest in Westario Power Inc.
Through this partnership, both companies are better positioned to improve efficiencies and bring an added level of risk
management to their operations, while maintaining service quality for their customers.
Vision A community owned electric utility delivering exceptional value, customer service and reliability to our local
communities through the strength of our employees.
Mission Westario Power is committed to powering our communities safely, reliably and efficiently while engaging our
customers and respecting the environment with continuous accountability.
Core Values: Safety, Integrity, Accountability, Continuous Improvement, Customer Focus and Positive Communication
The essential duties and responsibilities of the job include but are not necessarily restricted to the following:
Board of Directors
- Reports directly to the Board of Directors.
- Develops and manages all appropriate policies, procedures and other related matters with the purpose of
enhancing the effectiveness and efficiency of the Corporation for reporting and approval of the Board.
- Develops solid relationships with Shareholders, Municipal Government Representatives and members of the
business community in order to secure and maintain the anticipated market share for Westario Power Inc.
- Develops and presents to the Board for final approval of company plans and budgets.
- Develops and seeks merger/acquisition opportunities as directed by the Board of Directors.
Corporate Management Team
- Provides leadership and guidance as a participating member of the Corporate Management Team.
- Plan, design and direct work in coordination with management team in the setting of a Corporate Strategic and Business Plan.
- Directs the internal auditing of the Corporation and assumes the ultimate responsibility for operational and financial controls.
- Reviews and approves, within guidelines or budgets established by the Board, capital acquisition and expenditure plans.
- Ensures that all corporate activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, provincial, and federal
regulations and laws governing business operations as well as professional industry practices.
- Provide input and collaborate in HR areas including compensation discussions, employee benefits, health and
safety, labour relations, contract administration.
- Plan, design and communicate a Community Donations and Sponsorships policy that positions Westario Power
and its’ employees as committed community partners.
- Acts as chief spokesman for the Corporation in communicating with the media, customers, suppliers, competitors,
other utilities, government agencies, and professional societies and in negotiating major contracts.
- Ensure all employee relations and labour relations are conducted in a manner that maximizes benefits to the
Company and recognizes the valid concerns of employees.
- Responsible for the collaborative approach to the coordination, development and implementation of the Union/Management Collective
Agreement that will be subject to Board approval. Provide support where appropriate in resolving grievances, conciliations’
and arbitrations’ between the corporation and union members.
- Ensure a well-trained, competent workforce is available to meet the company’s future needs.
- Work in collaboration with Human Resource to ensure best practices are considered
- Directs and administers all legal matters of the corporation in collaboration with Sr E.A.
- Be fully familiar with all Board of Directors policies and procedures as they relate to the position and observe same.
- Be fully familiar with the Shareholders Agreement
- Observe all company safety standards.
- Provide oversight to HSE Manager
- Collaborate ways of improving the safety of the work environment.
- Ensure work practices are in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and any other applicable legislation.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Thorough knowledge of Utility regulation, university degree in Business, Commerce or Engineering with 5 to l0 years related experience
- Demonstrated customer service and marketing skills through past experience and accomplishments.
- Ability to respond appropriately to inquiries, suggestions or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, municipal government
representatives and members of the business community
- Thorough knowledge of Ontario electrical utility financial procedures.
- Experience in executing multiple concurrent projects, working in cross-functional teams
- Must have a good understanding of “Shareholder” AND “Board of Directors” processes and how it applies on a corporate level.
- Experienced and proficient in delivering effective presentations to management, public groups, government groups and Board of Directors.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to interact with Board of Directors both formally and informally by responding appropriately to inquiries, suggestions or complaints.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Thorough knowledge of the Company’s Financial (SAP) software.
- Thorough knowledge of all Microsoft products including but not limited to:
- Word, Windows, Excel, Visio, Power Point, Project Planning, Outlook
- and all other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
KEY ATTRIBUTES & COMPETENCIES
Visioning & Alignment
The President & CEO must have an excellent understanding of the Ontario electricity sector and be able to shape a compelling
and inspired vision and strategy for the future state of the newly merged Corporation, which generates commitment and alignment
of all aspects of the business and its people. They must be ready to exploit new opportunities for growth, take advantage of new technological
advancements, and seize opportunities that will increase shareholder value.
Motivational Change Leadership
The President & CEO manages continuity, change, and transition. A model of integrity and professional behavior, they deal effectively
with demanding situations, able to quickly design and implement interventions. He/she confidently builds and develops teams, fosters a
respectful and ethical work environment, mobilizes the workforce and champions and delegates courses of action towards the achievement
of the strategy and vision of the Corporation. This individual develops people and builds teams, promotes LDC`s values, mission, and
vision and knows how to influence and enable others and address the impact of attitude and action.
Business & Financial Acumen
The President & CEO understands and uses the workings, structure, climate, and culture of the Corporation and the industry to achieve
business and growth outcomes. They use and understand of financial information to make business decisions, maximize value, and maintain
financial health of the Corporation. This position also requires demonstrated knowledge and experience in integrating and coordinating diverse
areas of business management, including Human Resources, Finance, Operations, Customer Service, Regulatory, Information Technology,
Risk Assessment and Mitigation, oral and written communications, planning and evaluation, and governance.
Commitment to Results
The President & CEO is a systems thinker who is customer focused and goal driven. This individual identifies relevant information and helps
transform this information into individual and organizational knowledge and learning. The President & CEO is action orientated and innovative.
They anticipate and solve problems and take advantage of opportunities, is a self-starter and team player.
The President & CEO understands and operates sensitively and effectively within the political structures and climates of the position.
Relationship & Network Building
The President & CEO seeks and builds alliances, maintains effective relationships, communicates in a compelling and articulate manner
instilling commitment, and fosters open, respectful, two-way communication channels, internally and externally, to further the strategy and
vision of the Corporation.
Negotiation & Consensus Building
The President & CEO actively listens for underlying nuances and messages and uses persuasion to build consensus, manage and/or resolve
conflicts, and reach mutually agreeable outcomes.
The President & CEO analyses and synthesizes information to understand issues, identify options, and make appropriate, realistic, and timely
decisions based on consideration of the available facts and alternatives and sound calculation of risks.
The President & CEO must remain energized, positive, and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
To explore this opportunity further, please email your resume (filename - “Last name, First name - CV”), with “Westario Power” in the
subject line, in confidence to Larry Sartor at firstname.lastname@example.org and Mark Fukuzawa at email@example.com.
It is Westario Power’s policy to comply with all applicable laws and regulations which prohibit unlawful discrimination because of race, religion,
creed, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability or marital status or any other protected class.
We thank all those that apply for the position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.
June 11, 2020