HR & Payroll Specialist
Posted On: June 19, 2020
Last Day to Apply: July 03, 2020
Jumpstart your career as a Payroll & HR Specialist in this exciting opportunity. The ideal candidate should be ambitious and seeking development and advancement opportunities within HR, a demonstrated ability in the production of accurate and timely payroll for employees, communicate effectively, and deliver strong internal customer service while working in a deadline-driven environment.
At Burlington Hydro we strive to exemplify excellence in every aspect of our business. From the exacting work of our engineers and the professionalism of our customer service representatives, to our resilient operations crews and all those in-between, we work together to deliver value at every level of the organization. It’s a value proposition that lies at the very core of our company – caring for people and community, and caring about stewardship and sustainability – all with a commitment to continuous improvement in everything we do.
HR & Payroll Specialist
Reporting to the Director, People and Culture and dotted line to the HR Business Partner, Total Rewards and People Service, this position is responsible for the ensuring accurate and efficient processing of the weekly payroll (both union and salary employees), including year-end processing, reporting and reconciliation with the Payroll System and internal General Ledger.
This position supports the Human Resources Team in the effective utilization of the company’s HRIS system in order to accurately report on HR data, the aggregation of data, maintaining HR data quality, and the analysis of data to optimize organizational effectiveness. The HR & Payroll Specialist will work toward position objectives at ever increasing levels of responsibility based on training and experience; objectives include but are not limited to the following:
- Processes weekly payroll for union and non-union employees, month end close and payroll labour distribution; liaises with finance to reconcile payroll to General Ledger
- Processes payroll change notices, benefit changes and pension changes
- Prepares and issues employee annual statements of earnings and deductions (T4’s, T4A’s, etc.), Pension and Benefits Reporting
- Audits and updates new hire information in Payroll / HRIS system
- Assists with the development and maintenance payroll administration procedures and maintains payroll records
- Responds to all employee queries related to HRIS, payroll and pension
Compensation / Labour Relations Analysis Support
- Assists with maintaining HRIS data records and workflow pertaining to employees and ensure entries are timely, accurate and consistent in relation to organizational adjustments, compensation increases, one time payments, cost centre transfers, promotions, password reset, reduced work week, etc. and initiate employee relation documentation accordingly
- Tracks and monitors probationary employees progress, working with supervisors to monitor and confirm probationary requirements are being achieved
- Maintains data records pertaining to employee record tracking in paper or electronic
- Utilizes HRIS system effectively in order to support human resources reporting, aggregation, maintenance and the analysis of quality data to optimize organizational effectiveness
- Supports the maintenance of the Job Evaluation and Pay Equity processes
- Supports the onboard of new management in a timely manner on interpreting the collective agreement, handling of grievances and the application of defined steps in progressive discipline
- Supports Disability Management
- All other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Previous experience using payroll software; Ceridian Dayforce is an asset
- University degree in Accounting, Business or a related field; Certificate in Human Resources (CHRP) and/or Payroll Administration an asset
- 3 years’ experience working in an HR Generalist role and completion of Human Resources designation
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ambitious and seeking development and advancement opportunities within the HR department
- High energy level, comfortable operating in a fast paced environment
- Ability to get along with diverse personalities, tactful, mature, flexible
- Critical thinker, not afraid to challenge assumptions to seek best option
- Strong team player, understands the value of team effort and outcome
- Intermediate use of MS Office software
- Excellent mathematical and analytical skills
- Experience working in a unionized environment an asset
More about Burlington Hydro
Burlington Hydro and its employees are committed to delivering safe, efficient and reliable electricity to the municipality of Burlington, serving approximately 67,500 residential and commercial customers. Burlington Hydro’s strategic focus is on achieving excellence and continuous improvement across all aspects of its business including: employee and community safety; operational efficiency and reliability; responsive customer service; and, conservation programs. The company is committed to maintaining a strong asset base through responsible financial management, system renewal and innovation to assure the availability of electricity supply to meet customer needs and growth.
Burlington Hydro maintains 32 substations and almost 1,600 kilometers of medium voltage distribution lines to deliver electricity. The company is wholly owned by the City of Burlington.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume, in confidence, to Human Resources, at email@example.com (please note ‘HR & Payroll Specialist’ in the subject line) by Friday, July 3, 2020. Burlington Hydro Inc. is committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
All applicants are thanked for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies, please.
June 19, 2020