Complex Regulatory Application Advisor
Last Day to Apply: July 06, 2020
Ontario Energy Board
Empowering Ontario’s energy future
We are the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) - Ontario's independent energy regulator. We work to ensure a sustainable, reliable energy sector that helps consumers get value from their natural gas and electricity services – for today and tomorrow.
We are currently seeking an energetic, collaborative individual to join our team as a Complex Regulatory Application Advisor in the Generation & Transmission department. In this role, you will be responsible for working on rate and facility applications from electricity transmitters, Ontario Power Generation’s prescribed payments application, the Regulated Price Plan, and related policy work. The department provides professional support on a wide variety of technical issues and subjects and assists the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) in its processes, ensuring completion of the official record.
Complex Regulatory Application Advisor
Job ID #629
1 Permanent Full-time Position
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual with knowledge of how utilities are regulated and an interest in assisting the OEB to achieve its vision of protecting the long-term integrity of the Province’s energy system so that Ontarians – today and in the future – have access to reliable energy at a reasonable cost.
- Reviews, analyzes and manages the processing of complex applications filed by utilities, identifying relevant issues, and providing in-depth analysis and advice on all areas in an application including, but not limited to, financial, accounting, economic, regulatory policy, system planning, engineering cost allocation and load forecasting
- As team leader on an application, retains subject matter experts and oversees work of other team members assigned to the application
- Develops interrogatories and support materials (e.g. briefing notes and cross examination questions), in preparation of the adjudication of applications
- Prepares case schedules and assists in the preparation of procedural documents (e.g. notices, procedural orders, decisions)
- Leads and/or participates in the settlement of issues with applicants and other stakeholders
- Collaborates with commissioners assigned to the case and other participants in the application, including legal staff, applicants, and intervenors
- Strives to ensure procedural timelines for each case adhere to performance standards, to the extent possible
- Interprets and explains Board Orders, decisions, legislation, regulations and procedures to all levels within the organization
- Supports the development and implementation of policies related to electricity and generation applications
- Represents the organization in external forums and venues
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Undergraduate degree preferred in, but not limited to, Finance, Economics, Business Administration or Engineering, along with:
- 5+ years’ experience reviewing and/or preparing regulatory applications; clarifying and identifying application issues; and managing applications through the adjudicative process
- 8+ years’ experience reviewing and coordinating cross-organizational documents, gathering information and evidence to support business decisions and dealing with stakeholders to assist in the identification and settlement of issues
- 4+ years’ experience working in a regulated industry and/or public utility, preferably in a team lead role
- Experience in the energy industry is preferred
- Graduate degree or professional designation is an asset
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel
- Knowledge of Ontario Energy Board Act and related legislation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills that cater to all levels in the organization
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, prioritizing, problem solving and time management skills, with the ability to collaborate and work effectively in a team environment
- Conscientious, action oriented and adaptable
OUR CULTURE WE OFFER
If you enjoy working with a group of staff dedicated to working cooperatively with stakeholders to help build and sustain public confidence in Ontario’s natural gas and electricity sectors, you’ll enjoy being a member of our team. We offer an environment that provides intellectually challenging work, inspires innovation, creativity and rewards collaboration
COME WORK WITH US
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Comprehensive Health and Dental Plans
- Income Protection Plan
- Progressive Leave Program
- Employee Assistant Program
If you would like to explore this opportunity, please e-mail your resume, in confidence, by Monday, July 6, 2020, to firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying, please quote Job ID #629 and the Position Title in the subject line of your e-mail.
As Ontario’s independent energy regulator, the OEB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require any assistance, please let us know.
We appreciate the interest of all candidates. We regret that only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
June 24, 2020