Cable / URD Maintainer
Last Day to Apply: July 10, 2020
Cable / URD Maintainer
Are you interested in a rewarding career in electrical distribution system maintenance? We are seeking a 3rd or 4th year apprentice (or equivalent) to carry out varied underground electrical distribution system work? If so, consider joining London Hydro as a Cable / URD Maintainer within our Electric Underground Systems Department.
Working under the direction of the Electric Underground Systems Supervisor, or designate, you will install, repair and maintain the underground electric system in the City of London, covering both the downtown network and underground residential distribution (URD) systems.
More specifically, as a Cable / URD Maintainer, you will:
- Perform the duties of an Underground Plant Locator.
- Work on energized cable and equipment up to 27.6 KV.
- Install, splice and maintain lead and polymer primary cables and secondary cables in both the downtown network and residential distribution systems.
- Perform switching in electrical equipment with voltages of up to 27.6 KV.
- Isolate and ground cables and equipment.
- Respond to customer problems related to no voltage, part voltage or unusual voltage situations, and repair or refer the problem to the appropriate department or third party.
- Install and connect commercial, industrial and residential services in both the downtown network and residential distribution systems.
- Inspect electrical installations performed by outside contractors.
- Use various pieces of test equipment.
- Read blueprints and drawings, and requisition material.
- Assist other departments with both scheduled and emergency work, as needed.
- Assist in the training of apprentices and learners.
- Work – on a regular basis – with hazardous materials, including lead and asbestos, in close proximity to heavy traffic, and in confined spaces.
- Perform work requiring heavy physical effort on a regular basis.
- Work standby duty on a designated schedule.
- Adhere to all Occupational Health and Safety Act rules and regulations, the IHSA's Electrical Utility Safety Rules, London Hydro safe work practices and procedures, and all components of London Hydro's health and safety program.
The qualified Cable / URD Maintainer we seek must be able to meet the following requirements:
- Successful completion of Grade 12 PLUS current enrolment in the 3rd or 4th year of an apprenticeship program to obtain specialized trades certification, i.e. MEA Journeyman Power Cable Person Certificate.
- A Class AZ Driver's Licence in order to drive to work sites to perform the essential duties of the position.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
About London Hydro
For over a century, London Hydro has been providing safe, affordable and reliable electricity to a diverse customer base. We are one of the area’s larger employers, with a highly skilled and motivated team of people across many different occupations. Through this dedicated team and an extensive network of overhead and underground power lines, we power over 150,000 homes and businesses, and continue to improve the way people live and work.
Living in London offers many lifestyle benefits. Develop your career at London Hydro.
Watch the short video below for more details!
For more information and to apply
To find out more about London Hydro, as well as this and other opportunities to join our team, please visit our website at www.londonhydro.com. If you are both qualified and safety-focused, we invite you to submit your cover letter and resume as a single document, saving the file as your last name and first name with no spaces (i.e., LastnameFirstname), by Friday, July 10, 2020, to: Human Resources Department, London Hydro Inc., P.O. Box 2700, London, ON N6A 4H6. Fax: 519-661-5164. E-mail (quote Cable / URD Maintainer in the subject line and ensure that you attach your resume): firstname.lastname@example.org. The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check prior to the commencement of employment. An education check will also be conducted.
London Hydro is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is directed to applicants who are authorized to work in Canada.
June 25, 2020