Manager, Electricity Distribution - Major Rate Application & Consolidation
Posted On: July 20, 2020
Last Day to Apply: August 10, 2020
Ontario Energy Board
Empowering Ontario’s energy future
We are the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) - Ontario's independent energy regulator. We work to ensure a sustainable, reliable energy sector that helps consumers get value from their natural gas and electricity services – for today and tomorrow.
We are currently seeking an energetic, collaborative individual to join our team as a Manager in the Electricity Distribution - Major Rate Applications & Consolidations department. In this role, you will be responsible for managing, coaching and developing a team of professionals and policy experts as well as providing senior-level analysis and recommendations to senior management on cost-based rates and distributor consolidation applications related to the rate-regulated electricity distribution businesses in Ontario.
Manager, Electricity Distribution – Major Rate Application & Consolidation
Job ID #630
1 Permanent Full-time Position
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual with knowledge of how utilities are regulated and an interest in assisting the OEB to achieve its vision of protecting the long-term integrity of the Province’s energy system so that Ontarians – today and in the future – have access to reliable energy at a reasonable cost.
- Leads, coordinates and assigns cases to technical staff and coordinates the review of complex generic issues and the overall review for reasonableness of rates and consolidation proposals filed by rate-regulated electricity distributors.
- Monitors employees’ performance, provides feedback, establishes goal, completes employees’ performance appraisals and manages labour relation issues in collaboration with HR.
- Responsible for the department’s staffing needs, including recruitment and learning and development opportunities.
- Manages and coordinates the review of cost-based rates and distributor consolidation applications and related projects focusing on providing technical advice in order to assist in the resolution of issues.
- Provides expertise on options and impacts of technical issues associated with cost-based rates and distributor consolidation applications and related policy projects.
- Provides expertise, guidance and advice to the Executive team and, internal and external stakeholders, on issues related to economic, engineering, accounting and/or financial issues in a regulatory context.
- Reviews interrogatories and briefing notes, coordinates strategies for settlement conferences, cross-examination and/or staff arguments, and any materials that support Legal Counsel in cross-examination in preparation of public hearings.
- Communicates with all levels in the organization on procedural matters and technical issues related to cost-based rates and distributor consolidation applications.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering, Finance, Accounting, Economics or a related field.
- Graduate degree in a related field would be preferred.
- Professional designation (e.g. P.Eng.) would be an asset.
- 6+ years’ experience managing a team of professionals with a demonstrated ability to lead, coach, motivate and manage a high-performance team
- 8+ years’ experience in a regulatory industry and/or utility providing expertise in engineering (planning, design, construction etc.) financial reviews, legal administration (cross-examination, public hearings etc.) and/or accounting and economics.
- Previous experience with case management and in-depth reviews of application-related rates and/or utility consolidations in the energy industry.
- Experience and understanding of the adjudicative process along with strategic planning skills to formulate strategies incorporating all relevant perspectives, constraints, risks and costs.
- Working knowledge of the Ontario Energy Board Act, 1998 and the related regulations and rate setting filing requirements, guidelines and handbooks such as the Handbook for Utility Rate Applications
- Strong understanding and in-depth knowledge of the energy industry, including past, present and future trends.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills with a proven ability to communicate to all levels within an organization.
- Intermediate skills with Microsoft Office Suite is required.
If you enjoy working with a group of staff dedicated to working cooperatively with stakeholders to help build and sustain public confidence in Ontario’s natural gas and electricity sectors, you’ll enjoy being a member of our team. We offer an environment that provides intellectually challenging work, inspires innovation, creativity and rewards collaboration.
COME WORK WITH US
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Comprehensive Health and Dental Plans
- Income Protection Plan
- Progressive Leave Program
- Employee Assistant Program
If you would like to explore this opportunity, please e-mail your resume, in confidence, by Monday, August 10, 2020, to email@example.com. When applying, please quote Job ID #630 and the Position Title in the subject line of your e-mail.
As Ontario’s independent energy regulator, the OEB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require any assistance, please let us know.
We appreciate the interest of all candidates. We regret that only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
July 20, 2020