Supervisor, Distribution Operations
Last Day to Apply: June 09, 2018
Management Employment Opportunity
Supervisor, Distribution Operations
One of life’s great opportunities is the opportunity to coach, mentor and lead a team. To pass your knowledge and wisdom on to others. To support and enable them to do their very best work and to encourage them in difficult times. And in doing so, to leave a legacy. If being a coach, mentor and leader of a team at Hydro Ottawa, the Supervisor, Distribution Operations is the leadership opportunity you have been preparing for, perhaps this could be your next role.
The Supervisor is responsible for project construction, maintenance and repair activity associated with the overhead and underground distribution system, ensuring that all safety rules, regulations, standards, project schedules and budgets are met.
The Supervisor is also responsible for the project management and construction of new overhead pole lines and line rebuilds, including the relocation of overhead plant for roadwork. The supervisor will be required to work shift work at management’s discretion.
- Responsible for project construction, maintenance and repair activities with a staff of 8-20 and an annual budget of $1.5 - $5 million.
- Organize and implement work plans, coordinate the field forces, oversee the execution of the work, and follow-up with post construction review and feedback.
- Responsible for crew safety, and the on-time, on-budget completion of the work.
- Continuously review and implement resource requirements by assisting with the selection of staff, ensuring appropriate training is provided, delegating tasks and assignments, defining goals, communicating feedback on performance and ensuring strict adherence to all health and safety standards and other applicable laws and regulations
- Ensure the quantity and quality of the work progresses as it should by adjusting schedules as required to deal with emergencies and other unforeseen problems
- Ensure that work is completed safely, and in the event of accident, ensure quick response including follow up with authorities and safety representative, completion of required documentation.
- Ensure completion and certification of the jobs for payment to contractors by signing off on work orders.
- Ensure planned maintenance and reconciliation of utilization against work orders for costing and charging purposes by keeping records of labour costs, equipment and material used and year of production.
- Ensure the systematic energizing of premises and load redistribution by coordinating switching orders to isolate the problem areas, by rerouting power to minimize customer irritants and by cooperating with other utilities in handling emergency calls
- Supervise responses to emergency calls including participating in the on-call roster; interfacing with Hydro One and other utilities that may be affected; interfacing with Customer Service and Communications and the public regarding complaints and request for information.
- Ensure improved efficiency, effectiveness, productivity, quality, accuracy and safety by recommending new or improved work methods and techniques, maintaining working tools and equipment in sound operational condition, and writing out work orders for repairs and recovery costs, as well as keeping records of contractor work and billings
- Develop, monitor and manage financial resources and department budgets.
- Responsible for the gathering and inputting of maintenance and inspection data as per OEB regulations
- Perform other duties as required.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Community College diploma or OACETT certification with a minimum of 5 years experience in utility operations, or
- Line maintainer certification with 10 years experience, including experience in directing and leading teams, or
- Cable Jointer certification with 10 years experience, including experience in directing and leading team
- English language skills essential, Bilingualism (French/English) considered an asset
This is a management group opportunity and salary will be commensurate with qualification.
Hydro Ottawa is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that reflects the diverse population it serves and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are also committed to preventing and removing barriers to employment for people with disabilities, and we invite you to inform us should you have any accessibility or accommodation needs.
Selected candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
May 9, 2018