Last Day to Apply: December 07, 2018
If you are a Professional Engineer with electrical distribution system experience, we invite you to join London Hydro as a Distribution Engineer.
Working with a team of engineers and supporting staff, and demonstrating your knowledge of utility procedures and distribution systems, you will apply your professional engineering knowledge and experience to a variety of analytical / technical projects and initiatives in support of the planning, design, ongoing operation and sustainment of the electrical distribution system assets, with a focus on Asset Sustainment.
More specifically, as a Distribution Engineer, you will:
- Coordinate a collaborative, stakeholder-focused approach to the ongoing administration, maintenance and updating of the Asset Sustainment Plan (ASP), and the associated prioritization of asset-sustainment projects, assessing and proposing appropriate utilization factors and their effect on useful asset life, implementing and administering an asset maintenance and records system, leveraging the GIS, as well as implementing and overseeing asset-condition field data collection processes to ensure they are addressing ASP requirements.
- Participate in reliability / outage analyses and contribute to the development of reliability-centred maintenance methodologies for the ASP, analyzing system components and reporting on various attributes, performing risk assessments based on condition assessment and reliability-centred maintenance, and enabling discussion regarding potential/future life cycle sustaining investments (capital or maintenance).
- Assess potential plans, including capital projects, to reduce system operating and maintenance costs, optimize system performance, and reduce losses to improve efficiency and reliability.
- Supervise, and provide technical direction to, technicians, technologists and field staff.
- Manage projects and expenditures within approved budgets and timelines, approving plans and cost estimates for new installations, rebuilds and upgrades of the distribution system.
- Consult and liaise with multiple contacts to coordinate work, assess future plans, negotiate joint use, easements and rights-of-way, investigate claims, coordinate audits, etc., and assist with the ongoing development and maintenance of construction standards.
- Develop and implement new technologies and streamline existing process flows.
- Write reports on a wide variety of topics affecting the distribution system.
- Prepare programs and estimates of capital construction projects for the annual budget.
- Perform studies and estimates, and make recommendations.
- Certify drawings, specifications and other documents as a Registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario.
- Participate in professional and technical organizations related to electric utilities and assist with operational customer service initiatives.
- Adhere to all Occupational Health & Safety Act rules and regulations, the E&USA rule book, London Hydro work practices and London Hydro’s Health & Safety Management System.
The qualified Distribution Engineer we seek must be able to meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- P.Eng. designation with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) registration.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience with an electrical distribution system.
- Strong leadership, management, supervisory and communication skills.
- Familiarity with applicable standards and regulations, and common utility procedures and policies.
- Knowledge of medium-voltage distribution systems.
- Valid Class G driver's licence.
About London HydroFor over a century, London Hydro has been providing safe, affordable and reliable electricity to a diverse customer base. We are one of the area’s larger employers, with a highly skilled and motivated team of people across many different occupations. Through this dedicated team and an extensive network of overhead and underground power lines, we power over 150,000 homes and businesses, and continue to improve the way people live and work.
Living in London offers many lifestyle benefits. Develop your career at London Hydro.
Watch the short video below for more details!
For more information and to apply
To find out more about London Hydro, as well as this and other opportunities to join our team, please visit our website at www.londonhydro.com. If you are both qualified and safety-focused, we invite you to submit your cover letter and resume as a single document, saving the file as your last name and first name with no spaces (i.e., LastnameFirstname), by Friday, December 7, 2018, to: Human Resources Department, London Hydro Inc., P.O. Box 2700, London, ON N6A 4H6. Fax: 519-661-5164. E-mail (quote Distribution Engineer in the subject line and ensure that you attach your resume): firstname.lastname@example.org. The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check prior to the commencement of employment. An education check will also be conducted.
London Hydro is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is directed to applicants who are authorized to work in Canada.
November 20, 2018