Control Room Operator
Last Day to Apply: May 02, 2019
Oakville Hydro is a progressive electricity distribution company. Using a sophisticated network of remotely switched power lines of approximately 1,400 km, we have reliably delivered energy to households and businesses for over a century. Oakville Hydro offers customer service to developers and consumers, as well as designs, builds and maintains Oakville’s state-of-the-art power distribution system.
Oakville Hydro was awarded the 2017 Performance Excellence Award from the Electricity Distributors Association (EDA), recognizing the organization as an exceptional leader in the industry. The Performance Excellence Award recognizes a local distribution company’s achievements in five categories: health and safety, operational excellence, financial operations, conservation and demand management and contribution to the community.
At Oakville Hydro, we believe that our continued success as an industry leader is due to our innovative, customer focused, team-oriented employees who continually strive to exceed customer expectations and take pride in all areas of our businesses.
Successful Oakville Hydro employees:
- Customer-centric – you understand and embrace the role of delivering exemplary service
- Leadership – you lead by example through your actions and attitudes
- Innovation - you look for opportunities to improve, do things differently, and add value for our customers and business
- Commitment to Excellence - in all that you do
We promote a culture that is diverse, inclusive, innovative, and performance driven in an environment that is fun and exciting. Individuals who choose to be a part of our organization are offered:
- Potential to lead innovative projects and initiatives
- Career path exploration and development opportunities
- Opportunities to get involved with teams and charitable events that support the community
- Comprehensive total reward package
About the Role
We are looking for a dynamic individual with exceptional customer service and technical skills. Working in a non-routine and very complex environment, the Control Room Operator (Apprenticeship will be considered) is accountable for all electrical distribution system operations within the operating territories serviced by the Control Room, including monitoring and controlling load, minimizing outage frequency and duration, coordination of switching activities and ensuring that the Utility Work Protection Code Practices are documented and followed.
- Operate our state-of-the-art advanced distribution management system (ADMS), leveraging the sophisticated grid intelligence network consisting of 215+ automated field devices
- Coordinate and schedule activities in a dynamic multi-utility environment to ensure the needs of internal and external customers are met
- Identify system risk and develop mitigation strategies. Create OTO’s and procedures to allow for the safe and timely restoration of the system after an interruption.
- Complete daily, weekly and monthly reporting to monitor key performance indicators, and perform post-event analyses
- Liaise with Hydro One and IESO for outage planning and restoration activities
- Operate and monitor all Control Room systems, including preparing for and directing scheduled and emergency switching, load transfers, work protection code work, etc.
- Respond to distribution system problems at all voltage levels using sound judgment & taking corrective action.
- Flawless delivery of Utility Work Protection Code processes
Required Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- Working towards their System Operator Certificate, CET, Powerline Technician, Technology Diploma in relevant field
- Working knowledge of electrical distribution systems and operation
- Has completed or willing to be enrolled in the MEARIE Operator Training program
- Database and operational experience with SCADA / ADMS platforms
- Experience in coordinating projects
- Two or more years’ experience in the industry or equivalent related utility experience
- High level of technical competence in design work and project management
- Good knowledge of electrical theory, good understanding and familiarity with power system operations, practices and installation standards
- Ability to interact with others in ways that advance the work of the organization with a track record of developing trust, mutual respect and cooperative relationships
- Strong commitment to continuous improvement principles
- Time management and organizational skills
- Ability to pay attention to details with focus on accuracy
- Excellent safety and attendance record
Other Success Factors:
- Brand ambassador - enable, engage, encourage and exemplify the behaviours and attitudes of the brand
- Is customer centric and displays an attitude of commitment and excellence with service delivery
- Stay a step ahead – make a priority to be in-tune with key industry disruptions, such as electrification of transportation, grid modernization and Smart Grid
- Have a futuristic and proactive mindset with the ability to win outside of the box, foresee problems and take action as required
- Be a self-starter who knows when to take the lead while using a collaborative approach to decision making
- Be a creative thinker with strong planning, organization and execution skills
- Demonstrates flexibility and projects a positive/professional demeanor
- Be Technically savvy and have the ability understands or learn business requirements quickly
Please send your resume with the position title in the subject line, to HR@oakvillehydro.com
Oakville Hydro is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Oakville Hydro will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
April 2, 2019