Manager, Employee & Labour Relations
Last Day to Apply: August 24, 2019
MANAGER, EMPLOYEE & LABOUR RELATIONS
Veridian Connections Inc. and Whitby Hydro Electric Corporation recently merged to form Elexicon Energy. The new company is the fourth largest municipally owned electricity distributor in Ontario, serving more than 162,000 residential and business customers in parts of Durham Region and beyond.
The decision to merge Veridian Connections and Whitby Hydro Electric Corporation is a concerted effort to enhance the comfort of their customer base. Through this merger, they are able to improve the reliability of the services provided, as well as reduce the rising cost of electricity.
For further information on Elexicon Energy, please visit www.elexiconenergy.com
The Manager, Employee & Labour Relations is responsible for all aspects of employee and labour relations, staff training and organizational development, policy & procedures, succession planning, performance management, compensation and adherence to Human Resource legislation.
This position is located in Ajax, Ontario and reports to the Vice President of Human Resources & Corporate Services.
- Provide expert Employee and Labour Relations advice and guidance to ensure the consistent application and interpretation of legislation, policies, procedures and collective bargaining agreements.
- Respond to enquiries from managers, staff, union executive members related to labour relations and the collective bargaining agreements.
- Independently suggest solutions to labour relations problems by interpreting collective agreements, policies, procedures labour law and arbitral jurisprudence.
- Facilitate timely resolution of all employee and labour relations issues while maintaining an appropriate balance between employee and management advocacy.
- Lead, participate, support and document labour management committees and meetings.
- Lead collective bargaining, negotiation committees, including chairing and proposal creation and preparation.
- Grievance and dispute resolution management, including mediations and partnering with legal counsel on matters proceeding to arbitration.
- Lead investigations .
- Work closely with Health, Wellness and Safety to effectively manage the disability and attendance management process, including supporting return to work plans and accommodations.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures while being mindful of collective agreement obligations and requirements under applicable legislations.
- Develop various tools to assist in increasing the labour relations capacity of management and the HR team (data analysis, templates and training materials).
- Facilitate and conduct presentations and/or workshops for management staff, including changes to the collective agreements and on managing in a unionized environment.
- Post secondary degree.
- Human Resources Designation is an asset.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with managers, staff and union representatives.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive experience working in HR with a proven expertise in employee and labour relations.
- Expert knowledge of labour relations, collective bargaining and grievance handling processes.
- Expert knowledge of Ontario employment legislation.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex employee, labour and policy issues and to provide sound, reasoned and reliable advice.
- Proven effective mediation / dispute resolution skills.
- Proven ability to educate and coach employees and managers on core HR processes, including (but not limited to) Talent Management, Development and Performance Management, Compensation, and Short Term Incentive.
- Ability to multi-task, with proven organizational skills.
- Superior communication, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient with MS office.
For further information on this role please contact:
David MacPherson (Partner) at 905-320-6540, Email email@example.com
Arwa Nasrallah (Consultant) at 416-963-9000 Ext: 238, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
July 24, 2019