Journeyperson Powerline Technician
Posted On: August 14, 2019
Last Day to Apply: September 04, 2019
JOURNEYPERSON POWERLINE TECHNICIAN
Oshawa PUC Networks Inc, a subsidiary of Oshawa Power & Utilities Corporation, and affiliate of fiber optic, district energy and renewable generation businesses, is the local hydro-electric distribution company that supplies electricity to more than 58,000 customers in the city of Oshawa. Located just 45 minutes east of Toronto off the shores of Lake Ontario, Oshawa serves as the economic engine for the Durham Region. Home to Lakeridge Health, Durham College and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Oshawa boasts a diversified economy ranging from advanced manufacturing and power generation to information technology and transportation.
Oshawa PUC Networks Inc maintains 1000 km of overhead and underground distribution lines within a 150 km2 service territory, operated at 44 and 13.8 kV, supplied by 9 distribution and 3 transmission substations. The organization is committed to the safe, reliable and efficient delivery of electricity through responsible financial management, strategic reinvestment and continuous innovation.
Reporting to the Distribution Supervisor and/or the Manager, Distribution Construction, this position will be responsible for the safe construction, commissioning, repair and maintenance of overhead and underground electrical distribution systems.
- Construct, maintain and perform planned and emergency repairs on the 120V to 44,000V overhead and underground electrical distribution systems
- Install poles, conductors, transformers, switching devices, elbows, terminations and splices using associated equipment as per safe practice guidelines
- Perform electric utility connections and disconnections as requested and required by customer service activity
- Operate large vehicles and equipment required from set-up to completion of related jobs including documentation related to circle checks and traffic control
- Liaise with internal departments to plan major switching operations and construction projects, keeping accurate records of equipment and material use
- Carry out emergency repairs of the system on standby duty, outside normal working hours, in a safe working manner and with commitment to time management
- Train apprentices, contractors, and oneself in correct and new work techniques and the safe operation of equipment
- Maintain accurate records of equipment, material use, and labour for regular work and trouble calls
- Communicate with customers to provide service, ensure satisfaction, and safeguard public safety
- Work in compliance with the Highway Traffic Act, Occupational Health & Safety Act, WHMIS, applicable legislation, regulations, and statutes
- Certification as a Journeyman Powerline Technician
- Minimum 5 years’ on-the-job work experience as a Powerline Technician in an electrical distribution environment
- Powerline Technician college diploma (2-year program) considered an asset
- Knowledge of methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in electrical distribution construction, inspection, operation, testing, and maintenance
- Possess (or be willing to obtain) a valid DZ or AZ license with a clean abstract
- Ability to operate a bucket truck/material handler, and radial boom derrick
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, maps, drawings, and procedure manuals
- Must attend and re-certify as required all relevant operational and safety courses
- Communicates with coworkers, management, and the general public to follow instructions and establish effective working relationships
- Must be in good health, and physically fit for year-round outdoor line work, in all elements, in confined spaces and at various heights. Will be required to pass a medical examination.
- Proficiency in occupational health and safety legislation, safe work practices, work protection codes, and other safety policies and procedures including First Aid/CPR and WHMIS.
- Commitment to safety, teamwork, respect in the workplace and continued improvement of processes and procedures.
- Basic computer knowledge and data input skills.
- Must be available to perform regular stand-by and emergency call-outs and have the ability to reach the Company’s premises within twenty minutes.
Interested and qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume including work experience, education and references by Wednesday, September 4th, 2019 by email to: email@example.com
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
August 14, 2019