Last Day to Apply: July 11, 2020
JOB TITLE: Operations Superintendent
COMPANY: Niagara-on-the-Lake Hydro
REPORTING TO: Vice-President Operations
ORIGINAL DATE: June 2020
Due to a planned retirement, Niagara-on-the-Lake Hydro (NOTL Hydro) has an opening for an Operations Superintendent. This could be an excellent opportunity for a mature line manager looking for the breadth of responsibilities a smaller LDC offers or a technically proficient manager looking for a stepping stone to a senior management role.
Under the general direction of the VP Operations, this role is responsible for organizing work crews for the construction and maintenance of the power systems owned by NOTL Hydro in the service of its customers. The Operations Superintendent will play an active role in resolving trouble calls and preparing restoration plans. The Operations Superintendent will also guide members of the Operations Department to work safely using industry standards and guidelines set by the Company. The person in this role will also be part of the management team of the Company. A well-organized person with excellent communication skills and with an aptitude of using automated and computer processes to manage the tasks of the department is sought.
- Daily crew responsibilities for the Line Department including processing timesheets, work scheduling, customer calls and liaison with other departments within NOTL Hydro.
- Main contact with contractors working on tasks for NOTL Hydro, contractors working for customers and developers and Electrical Safety Association (ESA).
- Ensure all crews and contractors work safely and comply with safety regulations, policies and safe work practices of NOTL Hydro. Conducts regular job hazards analysis and adopt any barriers to ensure tasks are done with no compromise on health and safety.
- Review daily tailboards and conducts regular crew visits. Be a key contributor to all accident / incident investigations and seeks out key and underlying factors with recommendations for correction.
- Maintain training records on all members of the Operation staff and coordinate training requirements as required for mandatory certification as well as proficiency upgrading.
- Responsible for the proper management and handling of Company fleet including regular inspection and maintenance and compliance with CVOR licensing requirements.
- Ensure all personal and protective equipment (PPE) and requirements for proper tools are kept current and any replacements are on a timely plan.
- Maintain an adequate stock of line hardware and transformers and a well-managed warehouse and material handling system that assures emergency as well as orders for specific jobs.
- Ongoing oversight and responsibility for station equipment and key contact for operational and maintenance requirements.
- Ensure operational and maintenance requirements of all physical plant owned by NOTL Hydro including service building and all its support systems.
Education, Training and Personal Attributes:
The successful candidate must possess but not necessarily limited to the following qualifications:
- Secondary School Graduation Diploma – Minimum of Grade 12
- Certified Powerline Technician Journeyman in good standing with additional education in related fields of power electrical or electronic college programs.
- Valid DZ Ontario Driver’s License with a clean Driver’s Abstract.
- Ability to read and interpret utility systems construction drawings and supporting documents. Experience with ESRI’s ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS on line is an asset.
- Must have a good safety record and have demonstrated safe working habits and mechanical aptitude
- Knowledgeable and competent of IHSA (Formerly E&USA) Safety Rules, Occupational Health & Safety Act, ESA Ontario Reg. 22/04, Highway Traffic Act, WHMIS, CPR, First Aid and all other applicable legislation
- Proven ability to work effectively and safely in a team setting and follow instructions by peers
- Must have good communication skills both orally and written, including ability to maintain good logs and other records
- Good knowledge of computer applications
- Good interpersonal skills especially dealing with customers
- Proven management and good labour relation experiences including being a champion motivator.
- Demonstrated ability to manage department budgets and job costing on specific projects.
- Excellent physical condition to perform all tasks associated with the work including being available to respond to calls after business hours in a timely manner.
We offer an excellent work environment, competitive wage and benefit packages, a pension plan and an opportunity to be part of the community.
Qualified candidates are invited to send a detailed resume by Friday, July 3rd, 2020 at 11:00 am to:
We thank you in advance for applying but only applicants to be interviewed will be contacted further.
NOTL Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
June 11, 2020