Engineering Technician II
Last Day to Apply: July 03, 2020
At Burlington Hydro we strive to exemplify excellence in every aspect of our business. From the exacting work of our engineers and the professionalism of our customer service representatives, to our resilient operations crews and all those in-between, we work together to deliver value at every level of the organization. It’s a value proposition that lies at the very core of our company – caring for people and community, and caring about stewardship and sustainability – all with a commitment to continuous improvement in everything we do.
Engineering Technician II
Reporting to the GIS Supervisor, you will be responsible for updating the GIS system and producing maps for capital projects, construction and maintenance projects associated with the distribution system. You will work toward position objectives at ever increasing levels of responsibility relative to your training and experience.
- Review and analyze working drawings and spreadsheets associated with instruction orders
- Produce yearly predictive maintenance programs and other mapping projects as required
- Assist in preparation of yearly ESA audit, distribution maps and standard drawings in AutoCAD and Hexagon G/Technology
- Prepare plant mark ups for outside agencies, excavation permits and encroachment permits
- Create, maintain and verify spatial information within the GIS application, as well as producing queries and reports
- Verify information on connection orders including transformer location and lot identification
- Perform clerical such as filing and computer database updates, as well as the processing of accident/trouble field reports
- Perform occasional field work visits for information verification and for gathering of electrical and civil data
- Work with a high degree of technical accuracy and self-checking
- Plan, organize, coordinate, and manage daily assigned work
- All other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Post-Secondary Technician or Technologist degree or diploma
- 3-5 years GIS experience; experience with GIS Applications, preferably Hexagon G/Technology
- Knowledge of Computer Assisted Design (CAD) systems such as computer design/drafting; preferably AutoCAD
- Proficient in other Microsoft Office Applications (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, etc.)
- Knowledge of organizational practices as applied to the analysis/application of programs, policies, collective agreements and operational needs
- Knowledge of applicable laws, codes, and regulations
- Team player, able & willing to learn new technologies, flexible when situations change, able to work in an ambiguous environment
- Excellent interpersonal and customer relations skills; a good work ethic with a positive approach to work and coworkers; energetic and motivated with an excellent attendance record
- Possess and maintain a valid and clean abstract with a class “G” Ontario driver’s license; current First Aid and CPR Certification considered an asset
- Ability to read and interpret construction and electrical drawings
This is a full time position located in Burlington. This is a unionized position and includes compensation and benefits in accordance with the Collective Agreement. We offer an excellent working environment, competitive compensation and benefit packages, a pension plan and an opportunity to make a difference in our community.
More about Burlington Hydro
Burlington Hydro and its employees are committed to delivering safe, efficient and reliable electricity to the municipality of Burlington, serving approximately 67,500 residential and commercial customers. Burlington Hydro’s strategic focus is on achieving excellence and continuous improvement across all aspects of its business including: employee and community safety; operational efficiency and reliability; responsive customer service; and, conservation programs. The company is committed to maintaining a strong asset base through responsible financial management, system renewal and innovation to assure the availability of electricity supply to meet customer needs and growth.
Burlington Hydro maintains 32 substations and almost 1,600 kilometers of medium voltage distribution lines to deliver electricity. The company is wholly owned by the City of Burlington.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume, in confidence, to Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org (please note ‘Engineering Technician II’ in the subject line) by Friday, July 3, 2020. Burlington Hydro Inc. is committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
All applicants are thanked for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies, please.
June 18, 2020