Human Resources Generalist
Posted On: July 24, 2020
Last Day to Apply: August 24, 2020
Job Title: Human Resources Generalist
Reports to: Manager, Human Resources & Safety
Department: HR & Safety
Location: 1867 Ashburnham Dr., Peterborough, ON
POSITION OVERVIEWReporting to the Manager, Human Resources & Safety, the HR Generalist is accountable for providing operational human resources services to all division of the Peterborough Utilities Group.
1. Provide consultation, coaching, and support to business units with respect to employee and labour relations, performance and attendance management, training and development, recruitment and selection.
2. Administer the pension (OMERS) and benefit plans (Green Shield, Desjardin, EFAP and personnel records) for all employees.
3. Provide advice, counsel or recommendations to comply with human resources and health and safety policies and procedures, ensure organizational compliance with legal and ethical standards.
4. Gaining a solid understanding of the client’s business and establishing collaborative partnerships with management in order to integrate human resources management with business needs.
5. Achieves results through influencing others. Build excellent working relationships with all levels of management, union and student staff as well as union associations. Consults and provides consultation and conflict resolutions strategies and services.
6. Manage the recruitment and selection processes for student and union positions including job description development, interviewing, testing, reference checking, extending employment offers and conditions of employment. Develop and conduct orientation of new employees to ensure effective hiring of talent.
7. Provide advice and assistance to management staff on labour relations matters. Advises line management on collective agreement application including grievance procedures. Assist the HR and Safety Manager in facilitating grievance procedures and settlements, preparation for mediation/arbitration and Collective Bargaining Negotiations. Representation at negotiations and legal proceedings.
8. Manage the HRIS system through appropriate practices and procedures to maintain the integrity of the data. Complete required testing and coordinate software upgrades and enhancements with PTS. Continuous improvement to procedures where possible.
9. Carry out studies and/or gather statistics analyze and prepare reports for HR and Safety related programs and initiatives.
10. Coordinate employee communications including maintenance of the Company bulletin boards, distribution of information for remote locations and updates to the HR Intranet and Internet pages, employee engagement (Kudos) and wellness programs.
11. Support and contribute to health and safety initiatives and programs, coordinate internal and external training programs related to human resources and health & safety.
12. Provide confidential administrative support for the department including mail, filing, and word processing (JH&S Committee correspondence, health & safety awards administration, birthday cards, training database maintenance, MSDS updates, etc.).
13. Ensure all associated functions are performed within the realms of all associated legislation (i.e. Employment Standards, Ontario Human Rights, Ontario Labour Relations Act, etc.). Keep abreast of changes in legislation and communicate and implement where required whether by law or best practices.
14. Convey a compelling message for employee engagement to create a great work place where employees can flourish.
15. Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
1. A minimum of five years progressive human resources experience, with a focus on labour relations, performance management, recruitment and selection, and pension and benefits in a unionized environment.
2. Three (3) year College Diploma in Business Administration, Human Resources 3. Certified Human Resources Designation (CHRL) or working towards towards CHRL designation an asset.
1. Well developed consultative skills coupled with solid ability to develop working relationships at all levels within the organization.
2. Experience working in a unionized environment together with experience interpreting and applying collective agreements.
3. Strong recruitment experience including trends in advertising and creativity in recruitment.
4. Strong pension and benefits administration experience
5. Previous experience in delivering human resource solutions through design and application of process and technology. Defining and using relevant human resource metrics.
6. Knowledge and experience with health and safety related programs and initiatives
7. Experienced with an integrated electronic HR/Payroll system and advanced software skills in Microsoft office suite of applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint and web based internet / intranet browser tools and website maintenance tools.
8. Knowledge and understanding of relevant employment-related legislation including Employment Standards, Human Rights, Labour Relations Act, etc.
9. G Driver’s license with an excellent driving record, travel to other local sites as required.
WRITTEN APPLICATIONS, STATING QUALIFICATIONS IN AN ATTACHED RESUME, MAY BE SUBMITTED BY August 9, 2020
July 24, 2020