Health, Safety & Environmental Advisor / Line Foreperson
Last Day to Apply: September 21, 2020
Cornwall is a beautiful, safe and friendly growing community and is located on the banks of the St. Lawrence River in Eastern Ontario, and has everything you need to enjoy an exceptional quality of life. Cornwall has a small town feel, businesses and waterfront minutes away from your front door along with new opportunities awaiting around every corner. Situated along Highway 401, located near Kingston and the picturesque 1000 Islands -- plus only an hour drive to Ottawa or Montreal. Cornwall is an affordable place to live and a wonderful region to raise a family. Cornwall Electric is currently recruiting for a:
HEALTH, SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL ADVISOR/
Reporting to the Manager, Health, Safety & Environment - Corporate and working closely with the Cornwall Electric operations staff, the Health, Safety & Environmental Advisor (“HSEA”) will provide leadership, support and expertise to establish, manage, assist and monitor functions associated with HSE at a regional and corporate level. The incumbent will also be responsible to assist in the operations of the line department through participation on stand-by and act in a Supervisory capacity as required.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the resolution of HSE concerns and issues that arise through incident investigations, employee concerns, work observations, workplace inspections, audits and the HSE Management System (“HSEMS”) program at all designated locations. This position will take a supportive role in the development of new and revision(s) of existing HSE programs; prepare and maintenance of policies, procedures, programs and initiatives; ensure documents with respect to the HSEMS is maintained and consistent with ISO 45001 and ISO 14001 standards.
The HSEA will promote a strong culture of safety compliance and awareness at all levels of the organization will provide or facilitate on-going training and communications pertaining to all HSE information and any legislative changes that may affect FortisOntario. Develop, maintain and communicate with all internal and external legislative parties, such as but not limited to, the Ministry of Labour, Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks, Infrastructure Health & Safety Association, Electricity Distributors Association, health and safety committee members and all HSE staff from other FortisOntario subsidiaries.
In order to be successful in this position the candidate will require a combination problem solving capabilities, willingness/desire to learn and the ability to develop/maintain relationships with all levels of the organization. If you happen to be seeking a rewarding career, opportunity to work both independently, be part of a collaborative and dynamic team with an attractive compensation package and more - we encourage you to apply!
Preference will be for a candidate that meets the following minimum attributes, skills and qualifications:
- Certified electrical utilities industry tradesperson with five (5) years’ experience at the Journeyperson level.
- Certification as a Canadian Registered Safety Technician (CSRT), Canadian Utility Safety Professional (CUSP) and/or Health and Safety Auditor Training would be preferred.
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of internal and external safety rules and legislation safety requirements, including the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations.
- Experience with ISO 45001 and ISO 14001 standards, HSEMS, UWPC, EUSR and experience in a unionized environment.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, proven ability to both lead and work within a team environment. Ability to plan, prioritize and execute multiple projects and initiatives within established timelines/budget.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills with the ability to create and deliver presentations and training programs tailored to various audience types.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Ontario “Restricted AZ” driver’s license with a clean driving abstract.
- Travel to other FortisOntario work locations will be required.
- This opportunity will remain open until filled. Please submit your application in PDF to HR@FortisOntario.com. Indicate “HSAE-LF” on the subject line. www.fortisontario.com.
We thank all respondents but we will only contact those selected for an interview. FortisOntario is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities and will provide accommodation(s) when requested.
August 21, 2020