Coordinator, Health & Safety
Posted On: October 14, 2020
Last Day to Apply: November 06, 2020
Coordinator, Health & Safety
Oshawa PUC Networks Inc, a subsidiary of Oshawa Power & Utilities Corporation, and affiliate of fiber optic, district energy and renewable generation businesses, is the local hydro-electric distribution company that supplies electricity to more than 58,000 customers in the city of Oshawa. Located just 45 minutes east of Toronto off the shores of Lake Ontario, Oshawa serves as the economic engine for the Durham Region. Home to Lakeridge Health, Durham College and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Oshawa boasts a diversified economy ranging from advanced manufacturing and power generation to information technology and transportation.
Oshawa PUC Networks Inc maintains 1000 km of overhead and underground distribution lines within a 150 km2 service territory, operated at 44 and 13.8 kV, supplied by 9 distribution and 3 transmission substations. The organization is committed to the safe, reliable and efficient delivery of electricity through responsible financial management, strategic reinvestment and continuous innovation.
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources, the Coordinator, Health & Safety will promote and enforce a safe work culture through planning, coordinating, implementing and monitoring health, safety and environmental programs, management systems, policies and procedures that ensure regulatory compliance, accountability, best practice and continuous improvement.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Establish, develop, coordinate and implement all health, safety and environmental programs
- Develop, revise and maintain related policies and safe working practices
- Ensure regulatory compliance; act as point of contact for workplace investigations, auditing, reporting and registration with regulators
- Lead all activities to maintain COR certification
- Support loss prevention and risk mitigation initiatives
- Track and review workplace incidents and investigations; promote incident reporting; help determine corrective actions; work toward preventing all workplace injuries and accidents
- Other duties as assigned
- Support corporate wellness initiatives
- Educate, encourage and promote employee assistance programs
- Administer Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) claims, employee accommodation and return to work programs
- Help assess ergonomic issues and corrective actions
- Co-ordinate, coach and assist the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC); ensure functional effectiveness and regulatory compliance
- Maintain safety records; prepare monthly safety reports; keep Safety Data Sheet binders up-to-date
- Assist managers with addressing and resolving employee safety concerns
- Assist management with the investigation and root cause analysis of workplace incidents and accidents; ensure regulatory compliance; file mandatory reports; help determine corrective action and conduct incident debriefings
- Prepare content and facilitate routine safety meetings
- Develop and establish a contractor management program; define criteria for qualification; track and audit performance; issue notices of infractions
Training, Licenses & Certifications
- Develop, manage, track and implement employee training programs to ensure regulatory compliance and continued competence of trades and professional technical staff; keep detailed records; arrange recertification
- Coordinate the establishment, development and implementation of a formal environmental management system ensuring compliance with all required regulations
- Oversee spill response and reporting
- Maintain up-to-date designated substance and hazardous material surveys, reports and databases; ensure disclosure and training for employees and contractors as required
- Provide support for corporate initiatives regarding pollution prevention, climate change resiliency and sustainable development
To be considered for this position, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- University degree/College diploma in Occupational Health and Safety or related field
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) or Certified Health & Safety Consultant (CHSC) designation or ability to obtain same within 2 years
- Minimum 2 years progressive health & safety experience (job planning, hazard identification, accident investigation, regulatory compliance, safe work practices, equipment operation) and general knowledge of operations in an electrical utility or construction environment
- Thorough knowledge of industry rules and regulations, including: Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), Utility Work Protection Code (UWPC), Electrical Utilities Safety Rules for Ontario (EUSR), Electrical Safety Authority (ESA), Ministry of Labour (MOL), Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) and Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)
- Demonstrated ability to prepare reports, conduct investigations, liaise with regulators, conduct safety meetings and write policies & procedures; experience in adult education considered an asset
- Analytical with excellent reasoning & decision-making skills; ability to conduct research to support decisions and recommendations
- Positive attitude, professional demeanor and superior interpersonal and communications skills.
- Exceptional organization skills and the ability to balance multiple priorities/inquiries/requests to perform independently and effectively.
- Strong collaboration skills to work effectively in a team environment with internal colleagues and management at all levels, as well as with external partners.
- Strong discretion to deal with sensitive and/or confidential information and ability to problem solve.
- Computer proficiency, particularly in Microsoft Office and databases
- Valid Class G Driver's License in good standing
Commensurate with experience.
Interested and qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume including work experience, education and references by email until Friday, November 6, 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for considering a career with Oshawa Power. We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email email@example.com. Oshawa Power will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
October 14, 2020